Assumptions of features of the data:
- available to anyone
- formats are published at worst, open at best
- "open" means not one organization/company or consortium controls the specification
- process and final decisions argued in public, decisions published
- **INCOMPLETE LIST**
- minimum: downloadable zip files
- ideal: API with uptime guarantee
- how do you guarantee uptime? Does guaranteeing uptime make sense?
- scrubbed for privacy
- is a description of data removed noted for the record? Necessary?
- revisions? diffs?
- distributed repositories? what about retraction? verification?
- data marketplaces (e.g. SimpleGeo)? "Let the market decide."