Reasons why Reading.am is already great:
- concept of hooks, with some predefined (send to Twitter, Pinboard, etc.) and some readers can define for themselves by specifying a URL.
- recognizes that some people have multiple Twitter accounts
- personal dashboard RSS feed. That is, an RSS feed of what the people you are following are reading.
Some ideas for Reading.am
- Show the full chain.
- if I read something because of Max Fenton, and he read it because of Nicole Jones, show the whole chain. Maybe it's a network?!
- When posting to Twitter, add "via @sillygwailo" (or "b/c of"?) to the end of the tweet. Since you can add multiple Twitter accounts, make a setting for each user to specify which account to use when credited.
- some other way to notify that someone read an article because of you. Email?
- rel="nofollow" on "Nope" links, at least for the logged-out version of pages.
- I have a hard time with the radical transparency inherent in the app, so I'd like for setting a delay before something appears on my reading list (and RSS feeds, sent to Twitter, etc.).
- Maybe I regret going through the reading.am URL to look at something, or pressed the extension button by mistake
- I would say make this a setting in preferences, with a maximum of 60 seconds so that there's still some real-timeyness to it.
- it should probably show on your reading list, with a background colour or box around it to suggest 'unpublished', with maybe a countdown clock. The countdown starts from when you click through an item or click the extension's button, not when you first think to remove it from your reading list