Ever see, at the bottom of essays, the individual author thanking others for reviewing early drafts of something? What's the workflow for this author and their editors? An honest question I don't have the answer to.
I'd like to see an app (plus plugins for all the established publishing platforms) for collaboratively reviewing essays. Workflow:
- the author writes the first draft, saves it online as a draft post in their platform of choice
- the author invites others to collaborate. Those people get edit permissions as well as commenting permission, and only the editors see the initial comments.
- the editors suggest substantive changes in the comments, make typo or grammar edits in the body, all with a sort of "track changes" implemented
- the author makes the changes suggested by the editors, and there's a list of checkboxes at the end for thanking the authors, with options around links. Maybe the editors could opt-out of being thanked, as they may wish their contribution to be uncredited.
- at the bottom of the post, a custom message, possibly with tokens for the names of the editors, appears at the bottom of the post, auto-inserted.
Does anybody do this?
Whoever does this, Automattic should buy them and integrate it into WordPress.com.