The tools and techniques that I've tried but don't work for me. Maybe they work for you.
- Emacs PlannerMode
- Don't Break the Chain e.g. http://dontbreakthechain.com/
- didn't feel the need to keep streaks alive
- weekly reviews, which I thought would be useful, never caught on as a habit
- tracked applications running on the computer, gave a score based on what you thought were productive/unproductive (specifically applications and websites, if not necessarily tasks)
- may come back to it, though I was very much discouraged by the removal of tagging
- More than one monitor
- do I just open more windows and run out of short term memory (in my brain, that is) about what I was doing?
- "Read later" systems
- do I just shift from starred items or tabs to the 'read later' pile (currently Instapaper)
Why Didn't They Work?
- systems not customizable enough
- don't help me do what I want
- I don't know what I want to do to begin with
- I don't really want to do anything
- of course that's not true. There's lots I want to do. There's just much that I do that I resist.
- often means more work for others
- doing stuff can be tiring
- if I have to remember to do it, I must have some resistance against doing it