How do budding system administrators learn their craft? Especially if:
- it's a hobby, not something learned in school
- they're unemployed and don't have access to server resources?
- understanding of the theory of networking. Lots of books and online materials on the subject.
- practice with networking
Ways in which they would learn:
- they own hardware
- virtual hardware
- in 2010 almost everything is virtualized, and relatively cheap
- if you have access to the Internet, you have access to stuff like Amazon EC2 which can quickly provision and spin up/down instances